Friday, August 26, 2011

Slow Cooker Chicken Mole

The slow cooker gets a bad rap. I have no idea why, but foodies seem to look down on the slow cooker with disdain. Personally I think that’s just absurd snobbery. I only use my slow cooker on occasion, however, I have never been disappointed. So get off your high horse Buffy!

I love my slow cooker or “Crock-Pot” for many reasons. It saves time, there’s practically no mess involved and dinner’s ready to serve when I get home. What’s not to like? Besides, you’re essentially throwing anything in there, adding a bit of liquid and KAPOW! You have yourself a delicious meal with no fuss.


The trick to slow cooking is remembering that the best recipes are those that are meant to simmer in a bit of liquid for a long period of time. I know some people make roasted chickens with their slow cooker. I personally don’t encourage that. Mushy chicken skin is never a good thing. Spaghetti sauce, butter chicken, soup and even roast beef would probably be better recipes for your cooker.

For those of you who don’t have much experience with this method of cooking, here’s a foolproof recipe for you to try out. If you love Mexican food, you will not be disappointed.


Chicken Mole
1Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Cups chopped chicken
2 Cloves of Garlic, pressed
1 Large red pepper, chopped
1 Large onion, chopped
1 Can of diced tomatoes, no salt added
Paprika, to taste, smoked if you have it
1 Tbsp of cocoa powder, heaping
1/2 Tsp Cumin seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh cilantro, to taste
1 Avocado sliced
1 Lime

Brush your cold slow cooker with the olive oil, making certain every inch is lightly coated. If you prefer a lighter version, cooking spray can always used instead of the olive oil. Although the olive oil will lend a richer flavor to this recipe.

Place all ingredients inside the slow cooker, except for the avocado, cilantro and the lime. Stir once, making certain all ingredients are well blended.

Turn your slow cooker to low before you leave for the daily grind and let simmer all day. Stir one last time before serving. Serve hot over rice topped with avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.



7 comments:

  1. I never made mole but always wanted to.
    I will give your recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mole and that chicken sounds delicious! gotta love slow cookers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chicken mole looks fabulous!! I think there are a lot of bad slow cooker recipes out there, but this one's a winner :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm usually not a fan of Mexican food, but I love chicken mole! Such a great idea to make it in the crock pot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard excellent things about chicken mole-- crock pots make everything better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cumin seeds and smoked paprika give this recipe a delicious smell and taste, I wish I had a piece... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...